Guojun HE 何國俊PhD University of California, Berkeley, 2013
Guojun He is an economist working on environmental, health and development issues. He is jointly appointed at Division of Social Science, Division of Environment and Department of Economics. He is also a faculty associate at the HKUST Institute of Emerging Market Studies. His current research focuses on understanding the complex relationship between economics development, environment and human health from an interdisciplinary perspective. Before joining HKUST, he was a research fellow at Harvard University, and obtained his Ph.D. degree from U.C. Berkeley.
Environmental Economics, Health Economics, Development Economics, Applied Econometrics, Chinese Economy
- “Do College Graduates Serving as Village Officials Help Rural China?” (with Shaoda Wang), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, forthcoming
The Effect of Air Pollution on Mortality: Evidences from the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games” (with Maoyong Fan and Maigeng Zhou), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2016 (09), pp. 18-39.
- “Water Pollution and Infant Mortality in China” (with Jeffrey Perloff), Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2016 (65), pp. 19-39.
- “Growth, Pollution, and Life Expectancy: China from 1991-2012” (with Avaraham Ebenstein, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Peng Yin and Maigeng Zhou), American Economic Review: Papers & Proceedings, 2015 (5), pp. 226-231.
- “The Associations between Ambient Air Pollution and Adult Respiratory Mortality in 32 Major Chinese Cities, 2006-2010” (with Maigeng Zhou, Maoyong Fan, et al.), Environmental Research. 2015 (137), pp. 278-286.
- “Smog Episodes, Fine Particulate Pollution and Mortality in China” (with Maigeng Zhou, Maoyong Fan, et al.), Environmental Research. 2015 (136), pp. 396-404.
- “Does Customer Auditing Help Chinese Workers?” (with Jeffrey Perloff) Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Vol. 66 (2), 2013, pp. 511-524.
- “Determinants of Chinese Migrant Workers' Salaries: Human Capital or Social Capital?” (with Chong Xu and Chengcai Zhu), Journal of Agricultural and Technical Economics (Chinese), 2008 (1), pp. 57-65.
- “Peasant Households' Willingness to Circulate Contractual Land–Evidences from Beijing Villages” (with Chong Xu), Economic Science (Chinese), 2007 (05), pp. 111-124.
Forthcoming / Work In Progress
- “The Impact of Sustained Exposure to Particulate Matter on Life Expectancy: New Evidence from China’s Huai River Policy”, with Avraham Ebenstein, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, and Maigeng Zhou. (Under Review)
“Particulate Air Pollution and Mortality in China: A Time-Series Analysis in the Largest 38 Chinese Cities”, with Peng Yin, Maoyong Fan and Maigeng Zhou, et al. (Under Review)
“To Pollute or to Grow? Theory and Quasi-Experimental Evidence on the Trade-off Between Development and Environment”, with Yang Xie and Bing Zhang. (Under Review)
- “Do Super Markets Adjust Prices Asymmetrically?” with Jeffrey Perloff, Jeffrey LaFrance and Richard Volpe (Under Review)
- "Air Pollution, Water Pollution and Infant Mortality in China", with China CDC.
"Introductory Environmental and Health Economics" (ECON/SOSC/ENVR 2310), HKUST, 2015/2016 Fall
"Economics for Environmental Policy and Management" (ENVR 3410), HKUST, 2015 Spring
"Environmental Economics" (SOSC 2000B), HKUST, 2014 Fall